Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday's Obituary ~ Mary Letitia Graham Deyarmond (1912-1960)



This is another newspaper clipping from my great grandmother's scrapbook. Mrs. Arthur Deyarmond was the wife of Nana's first cousin, 1x removed, Arthur Salter Deyarmond. The handwritten date is undoubtedly Nana's writing. It is slightly incorrect, however, as I was able to verify her death date at Nova Scotia Genealogy as October 3, 1960. While there, I was also able to verify her birth date as January, 26, 1912, making her 48 years old at her death.

What I find remarkable about this obituary, probably from a Truro newspaper, is the notable absence of the female deceased's maiden name. I had to resort to Ancestry.com, and then to my own FTM database to figure out how she was related.

FTM's Relationship Report



It is pretty remarkable that, in 1960, in small town Nova Scotia, a woman would be best known as her husband's wife. There is also no mention of her burial. I found out at Colchester Historeum that she is buried in Riverside Cemetery, Upper Stewiacke.




No comments:

Post a Comment