Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fearless Females Blog Post: March 28 ~ “Grandmothers Are Just Antique Little Girls”

When I think about my grandmothers’ best girlfriends, a couple of women come to mind.

For my Grammy Bustin, Harriet Bustin, I think about her dear friend Helen Driscoll. Harriet and Helen were friends from childhood. They attended Portland High School together, and stayed friends into adulthood. They played bridge together, had mutual friends, and, in later years, their daughters became friends.

For my Grammy Seavey, Mattie Seavey, Lib (for Elizabeth) Gray was that close friend, a young divorced mother who met my grandmother when they were neighbors on Pine Street in South Portland. Lib’s son Donald actually stayed with my grandparents for a while during that turbulent divorcing time. And, similarly, Don and my dad remained friends their whole lives.

I wish I had pictures of these two women who played such major roles in my respective grandmothers’ lives. I have found these pictures from Grammy Seavey’s scrapbook, showing her with some girlfriends from her youth.












Lisa Alzo of  The Accidental Genealogist blog is presenting her Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month series in honor of National Women’s History Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment