Thursday, March 14, 2013

Fearless Females Blog Post: March 14 ~ Shot at Shin Pond


When family tales revolved around my dad’s side, and mention was made of his cousin Charlotte Seavey Rigby, he would always say “She was shot at Shin Pond.”

The background to this unusual event was never fully explained at that time, and I have hesitated to pry too much into the details which led to this sad news item appearing in the December 9, 1975 Portsmouth Herald.



Suffice it to say, it was winter in northern Penobscot County, Maine, and perhaps no one will ever know the whole story.




Lisa Alzo of  The Accidental Genealogist blog is presenting her Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month series in honor of National Women’s History Month.

1 comment:

  1. This story really caught my eye because I've been to Shin Pond! ( and took a float plane trip to look for moose) Lived in Northern Penobscot when first married, so I know how those winters can get up there. :) I'm fascinated by the stories of our ancestors and sure do wish we could go back in time and observe some of them.

    ReplyDelete