Monday, April 4, 2011

One Year Gone and Missed Every Day

Posted by Picasa




One year ago today, we lost Dad. The following are quotes from his eulogy, written and delivered by his only granddaughter, my daughter Stephanie Claire Schaffner:


"Richard Seavey lived the dream. I honestly believe he never thought he would get from life what he did and therefore, he left this world with no regrets. I guess you could call it a blessing in disguise, but my grandfather was a bit naïve; a wife and family that loved him dearly was more than he ever could have dreamed of. He woke up every day with a smile on his face and a kiss for my grandmother…it was as simple as that. That’s what my grandfather was: a simple man...


...I was asked by my cousins to speak on behalf of the grandchildren today and it’s a hard task to sum up how we all feel in a few words. What I do know is that we are lucky. We are the six luckiest children in the world to have grown up with a man like him to look up to and to share memories with. On a day like today it’s hard to think about anything but what we have lost, but I would like everyone to remember what we gained through this man. We learned values, gained insight, and most importantly, shared laughter with him. All of which can never ever be replaced. I am incredibly happy to know that my cousins, five very special boys and men, will have the memories of our grandfather to turn to when they have their own families. If they take even one attribute of our grandfather with them into their family lives, I’m sure they will be successful husbands, fathers, and grandfathers...


...There’s no one in this world that could ever take the place of such a beloved man. Although he was many different things to many different people, and each grandchild loved him in their own special way, throughout his life, I know that being a father and grandfather were the roles that truly completed him..."


Stephanie Claire Schaffner, April 8th, 2010, South Portland, Maine

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful eulogy your daughter wrote. I'm sure your dad is very proud of her.

    ReplyDelete